Homes for Sale in Yountville, CA
- Situated in the heart of California’s Napa Valley, Yountville is known for its Michelin-starred restaurants, highly-rated tasting rooms, and exceptional arts and culture scene.
- Aside from being a popular tourist destination, Yountville is also an excellent place to live in. The city offers a high quality of life and a slow-paced lifestyle.
- As for the homes for sale in Yountville, CA, you’ll have a variety of incredible properties to choose from such as spacious single-family homes, cozy townhouses, and centrally-located condos.
Welcome to Yountville, CA
Yountville is a town nestled in the heart of California’s famed Napa Valley, in the North Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area. The town encompasses a total area of roughly 1.5 square miles and is about 10 miles north of Napa and a little over an hour’s drive away from San Francisco.
Home to approximately 3,000 residents, Yountville is a popular destination that attracts countless gourmet enthusiasts and tourists each year with its Michelin-starred restaurants, world-class accommodations, top-rated tasting rooms, exceptional arts and culture venues, and beautiful natural surroundings, all within a scenic, walkable environment.
Beyond its fantastic tourist destinations, however, is a friendly, small-town atmosphere that offers an outstanding quality of life for residents. The town of Yountville is a terrific choice for anyone looking forward to a relaxing, slower-paced lifestyle in an area with a strong community spirit. It’s the little things that give Yountville its idyllic vibe and warm, homey atmosphere, from its free trolley service, the gorgeous town landscaping, to the vintage 1800s storefronts and buildings.
Although Yountville might seem like a sleepy town to some visitors, new developments over the past several years have given longtime residents tons of fantastic places to visit and activities to enjoy, including the Art Walk, several parks, community-wide events, and many more. The town boasts a seamless balance between a nice hometown atmosphere and a tourist-friendly environment, which offers the best of both worlds. Its motto – “Taste Life Here” – couldn’t be more perfect, as this is a town that manages to bring together all of the best things in life.
Yountville’s History at a Glance
- The town of Yountville is named after George Yount, the first Euro-American permanent settler and the first person to cultivate grapes in the Napa Valley. The area now occupied by present-day Yountville was owned by Yount in the 1800s, after the Mexican government offered him an 11,887-acre land grant, which stretched from Yountville to the southern portion of St. Helena, and throughout the entire width of the Napa Valley.
- The town was named “Sebastopol” in 1855. This was eventually changed, as a town in nearby Sonoma County had already officially laid claim to this name. It was renamed Yountville after the death of George C. Yount in 1867.
- A store built in the town in 1855 was Yountville’s very first business establishment. This was followed by the construction of the Sebastopol Exchange Hotel and another hotel named the “White House” in 1856.
- The introduction of railroad service in 1868 had a large influence on Yountville and was a notable point in the town’s history, as it brought in many newcomers, allowing the town to flourish.
- In 1870, Gottlieb Groezinger purchased 20 acres of land in Yountville, which he developed into a winery, distillery, and barrel room over the next four years. The buildings constructed by Groezinger continued to serve as a winery until 1955. Today, the stone buildings house The Shops at The Marketplace, which features an extensive collection of restaurants and specialty shops
- Yountville officially became a municipality of California on February 4, 1965.
Yountville Real Estate
Those looking for the perfect home in Yountville will be able to choose from a great selection of available homes that can accommodate any preference or budget.
Prospective buyers will find homes in different sizes and styles, from the mix of stylish single-family homes in Old Town to spacious custom homes and estates surrounded by sweeping views of serene vineyards. There’s also a superb selection of condos and townhomes for those looking forward to a more maintenance-free lifestyle with minimal upkeep.
The homes for sale in Yountville CA come in a range of lovely architectural styles such as Victorian, Craftsman, Ranch, Contemporary, and more. Many homes offer a perfect balance between privacy, comfort, and convenience. One of the best things about living in Yountville is no matter which part of town you live in, all of the town’s boutiques, parks, art galleries, vineyards and tasting rooms, and award-winning restaurants are just minutes away by foot or bicycle.
Some of the common features you’ll be able to find in homes for sale in Yountville, CA include:
- Open floor plans with upgraded interiors
- Original hardwood floors
- Elegant crown molding
- High ceilings
- Spacious family rooms with large windows and fireplace
- Gourmet kitchens with custom cabinetry and high-end stainless steel appliances
- Master suites with walk-in closets and full baths
- Large backyards with patios and covered decks
Schools in Yountville, CA
Public schools in Yountville are administered by the Napa Valley Unified School District. Established in 1965, the district comprises 29 schools that serve a student population of over 17,000 from Transitional Kindergarten to Grade 12, and Adult Education.
According to Niche.com, some of the top-rated schools serving Yountville are:
- Vintage High School
- New Technology High School
- Napa Valley Independent Studies
- Redwood Middle School
- Yountville Elementary School
Living in Yountville
Known as the Culinary Capital of Napa Valley, Yountville is home to several award-winning restaurants which have all helped elevate the town as one of the top culinary destinations in the U.S.
Every year, countless connoisseurs and casual diners looking forward to great tasting cuisine flock to Yountville to indulge in the town’s wide array of artisanal, farm-to-table restaurants that have impressed even the toughest food critics.
Some of the best restaurants in Yountville are:
- The French Laundry – The French Laundry isn’t simply one of the best restaurants in Yountville – it’s one of the best restaurants in the world. It was awarded the highest rating of three stars by the Michelin Guide, making its owner, Chef Thomas Keller, the only American-born chef to own two three-star Michelin restaurants.
- R+D Kitchen – Located at the north end of Yountville, R+D Kitchen offers fresh, sophisticated cuisine in a picturesque setting surrounded by breathtaking vineyard views. This is the perfect place if you’re looking forward to enjoying delicious food and wine amidst the perfect Napa Valley weather, as R+D Kitchen features a spacious outdoor seating area with comfortable Adirondack chairs surrounding fire pits.
- Bouchon Bistro – Also owned by Chef Thomas Keller, Bouchon Bistro offers authentic French bistro fare made with the finest and freshest ingredients. The award-winning restaurant has a one-star rating from the Michelin Guide and is known for its excellent seasonal menu and crowd-pleasing year-round staples such as trout amandine, roast chicken, and leg of lamb.
- Coqueta Napa Valley – Coqueta offers delicious Spanish cuisine along with a terrific selection of wines and inspired cocktails that highlight the rich bounty of Northern California. The restaurant is known for its extensive selection of Spanish meats, cheeses, toasts, hot and cold tapas, and paellas that are guaranteed to give your taste buds an unforgettable treat.
Yountville is an ideal place to live for nature lovers and outdoor adventurers of all ages. The town offers easy access to an array of outdoor destinations, giving visitors and residents an endless variety of recreational activities to enjoy.
If you’re looking to relax, enjoy the fresh air, and soak in the views, Yountville features great spots like Yountville Park and Veterans Memorial Park, which are perfect for activities such as walking, jogging, or enjoying picnics with the family.
For cyclists interested in seeing the sights of Yountville and Napa Valley on two wheels, Napa Valley Bike Tours offers bikes for rent and group cycling tours that take bikers to some of the best spots in the region.
Looking forward to hitting the greens? Yountville is home to the prestigious Vintner’s Golf Club, one of the finest golf destinations in the Napa Valley and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area. The championship nine-hole resort course features three sets of tees and was originally designed by Casey O’Callaghan and then redesigned by Class A PGA Superintendent Bob Boldt in 2003.
For families looking for a unique, unforgettable experience, a visit to Napa Valley Aloft, Inc., one of the original hot air balloon companies in Napa Valley, will take you on a magical journey offering bird’s eye views of the entire Napa Valley, the enchanting Mayacamas mountain range, and beyond.
These are just some of the many incredible outdoor activities waiting for you in Yountville!
Yountville features a vibrant selection of retail establishments ideal for anyone looking forward to some well-deserved retail therapy.
One of its most popular shopping venues is The Shops at The Marketplace, a scenic festival-inspired shopping center that features an extensive array of high-end homes, gardens, and bath boutiques, art galleries, restaurants, an award-winning chocolatier, and a wine tasting cellar. All of the establishments are within a historic 1870 building that once served as the home of the Groezinger Winery, one of the first wineries in the Napa Valley.
Many of the tasting rooms in Yountville also feature an additional retail component, giving visitors a fantastic opportunity to sample excellent wines while shopping for the latest styles, home décor, gifts, and other items.